Peacocks in Magnolia Tree

Peacocks in Magnolia Tree
24" X 60" Alkyd and Gold Leaf on Board

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Emus "In the Shadow of Our Father"


Sometimes, being in the shadow of your father is a good thing. The Emus are up and about, and dad is watching over his babes with a proud papa eye. However, it is hot in Australia, and sometimes the only available shade for emus on the move is good old dad. I started this yesterday, and completed it today so I'm a happy camper. I originally conceived of the idea with just the Emu chicks and the Dad's legs, but 3/4 of the way through the painting I felt it lacked intimacy, and personality, so I added dear old dad's head and neck. I have to go iron my husbands shirts, so he looks all pressed and tidy. Hope you enjoy the painting! I dreamed another up, and I will try to get to it before the paint goes bad. I bought some pears I want to paint also, plus some of my garden photographs of Iris and nasturtiums are calling me. Plus I need to finish more fish for the Underwater Scene for http://www.jellybeanstock.com/ I'm getting tired just thinking about all the work that needs to be done. Keep working fellow artist, write, and share what you've been doing. Lee, thank you for all your kind words and support.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do I detect just a small glint of panic in the father's eye now that he has counted the sum total of his offsprings? Love this painting, what a great series you are gathering together, Annie. I think that you need to think about a portfolio of emus.

Chabrier said...

Dear Lee, I think that's excitement at how good he is at fertilizing eggs and making baby Emus. I do have quite a few of these 15" X 20" Emus paintings now, and I have an idea for at least 1 more. I don't know what will become of the series. I just know I enjoyed making the paintings, and I'm not depressed anymore. Laughter is the best medicine. I want to turn them into greeting cards, but also prints. Now all I need is an Epson printer. I guess it will all happen with time, and money. Remember money, it's that green stuff! No not grass, leaves, or pond scum. Money is the stuff with presidents on it, and it's made out of special paper. Yeah, now you remember. We will have some again some day. For now just keep on painting. Love Annie

Anonymous said...

M o n e y?, have just a faint memory of long ago seeing some of it. Did not know it still existed. (grin)