Peacocks in Magnolia Tree

Peacocks in Magnolia Tree
24" X 60" Alkyd and Gold Leaf on Board

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Needlepoint Stitching a Cavorting Camel Dancing in the Desert

I loved stitching this silly and fun canvas.  
Cavorting Camel Dancing in the Desert Designed, Painted and Stitched by Annie
Copyright: HouseofChabrier Anne E. Shoemaker-Magdaleno 2013


This is how I started the Camel Canvas.  I stitched the Purple Kreinik Metallic XXX Border every 4 holes in the canvas.  I chose Rainbow Gallery Tweedie for the Camels rough coat, and I stitched in a simple Brick Stitch.  I wanted the Camel to look like the ones in the Zoo or walking around the desert that have shaggy bits on the neck and legs, and short woolly look to the main coat.  I also wanted to emphasize the hand print so I only did the brick stitch for the hand and changed to tent stitch for the face.  The sand of the desert I chose a pattern from the Pamphlet Rhapsody Geometric Satin Stitches (III) Designed by Sandra Murray.  The Pattern 4 is a sweet, very textural open pattern that looks like grains of wheat, or textured foot prints in the sand.  I stitched the sand in DMC Cotton Pearle 901 combined with a very Fine Kreinik Metallic #4 Braid 202HL for the first 3 rows up (I started at the bottom of the sand.).  I then switched to Anchor 089 Cotton combined with the Kreinik Metallic 202HL fine Braid for the next 3 rows, and then proceeded all the way to the mountains with Anchor 942 Beige Cotton mixed with the 202HL Fine Gold Braid.  In painting there is usually more texture and detail in the foreground as things go further away from us they become flatter, less detailed and more hazy.  That is why the threads grow less textured and lighter as they fade back from the camel.  The Camel is the center of interest as is the Child's hand, and should be the most dark and detailed to accomplish this effect.  Whatever you do...DON'T stitch all that mane, hair, and tail before you do the complete background.  Otherwise you will be fighting that hair, and having a terrible time counting threads when doing all the background stitching.

The  Sky is Stitched in Rainbow Gallery Crystal Braid Yellow CR07.  I love crystal braid, for it blends with the paint color, and it allows the background paint color to shine through.  I used another stitch from June McKnight's book Decorative Backgrounds for Needlepoint.  You can find the Alicia Lace stitch on page 20 of her book, and it's a wonderful easy stitch to do.  The effect against the pale misty blue mountains is the desert at dawn.  The Pale Blue mountains are stitched in tent stitch using a Rainbow Gallery Silk Lame Braid, but I (Oh tragic mistake!) didn't write the number down...woe is me, and I'm usually so good about it.  Having fun, and wanting to complete a canvas can interfere with the practical, well thought out parts of your life. One can get very involved when designing, redesigning, and stitching a Needlepoint Canvas.  Dishes don't get done, floors don't get swept, but I love my Husband so Dinner does get made.  Needle point is fun to do, relaxing, and is easy to pick up for a few minutes and then leave off to do another more pressing task.  The Horizon line is stitched in Kreinik Metallics Medium #16 Braid 9294.   The inside border is 3 stitched wide and done in Kreinik Metallics Balger Medium #16 Braid No. 015.  It is a bright Yellow Green, and the Outside border is 6 stitches wide done in Kreinik Metallics Medium #16 Braid No.012 Bright Lavender.  The Mane and Tail are stitched with Rainbow Gallery Fuzzy Stuff-FZ21 combined with Arctic Rays AR10  stitched closest to the body of the came.  I combined Rainbow Gallery Faux Fur Black FF2 and Arctic Rays Wispy Fringe AR10 in the same needle stitched in an uneven random way leaving space in between to stitch the long hair and beard.  This was what I finished with and I stitched the smiley face, out line, and eye in Kreinik Metallic Black #16 Braid 005.  I love stitching my Cavorting Camel, and I'm already planning what I'm going to turn these canvases into.  
If you wish to purchase this canvas or any other canvas please Email me at:  anne.shoemaker@cox.net  
Here is a closeup of all the stitching that went into the Cavorting Camel Dancing in the Desert!
.Copyright: Houseof Chabrier Anne E. Shoemaker-Magdaleno 2013  All Rights Reserved

Keep stitching, drawing, painting, acting, singing, dancing, cooking, and enjoying Life.  Life is a lot shorter than we think!  Even as we get older we still have our dreams from childhood, and it's always good to keep doing, achieving, and enjoying the life God has given us.  Thank you for reading my blog, and if you have any questions or comments just ask!  I'm always here, and working away.  Have a very good, easy, and productive day!


No comments: